Welcome to our step-by-step guide on how to update Visual Composer! As website developers ourselves, we understand the importance of keeping all aspects of a website up-to-date, including page builders like Visual Composer. In this post, we will be sharing with you our tried-and-tested process on how to update this essential plugin seamlessly. By following our instructions carefully, you can ensure that your website stays secure and running smoothly with the latest version of Visual Composer. Let’s get started!
As a website owner, updating your WordPress website is crucial to ensure it runs smoothly and stays secure. Additionally, keeping your website up-to-date with the latest versions of plugins and themes is essential, too. Among these plugins is Visual Composer, which is a page builder that is popular among WordPress users. Updating Visual Composer can be a slightly complicated process, but in this step-by-step guide, we will walk you through the process.
Step 1: Backup your website and database
Before beginning the updating process, ensure that you have a backup of your website and database. This precaution is crucial since it could save you from losing all of your work in case something goes wrong.
Step 2: Check the current version of Visual Composer
To determine whether Visual Composer needs updating, check the current version of your Visual Composer plugin. Your WordPress dashboard will indicate if an update is required. Alternatively, navigate to the “Plugins” section, find Visual Composer, and check the version number.
Step 3: Delete the old Visual Composer version
While some plugins may automatically update, Visual Composer requires a manual update instead. Begin by deleting the outdated version before proceeding with the installation of the new one. Navigate to your WordPress dashboard’s “Plugins” section, find Visual Composer and deactivate it. Next, delete the plugin and its files.
Step 4: Download and Install the new Visual Composer version
There are two methods to download the new version of Visual Composer: automatic and manual.
- Automatic method: In your WordPress Dashboard, navigate to Plugins > Add New > search for “Visual Composer” > then click the “Update” button
- Manual method: Download the new version of Visual Composer from the official website, and then upload the ZIP file in your WordPress dashboard. Navigate to Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin > Select the ZIP file > Install Now
Step 5: Activate the new Visual Composer plugin
After the new Visual Composer plugin is installed, don’t forget to activate it. Navigate to the Plugins section of your WordPress dashboard, find Visual Composer, and click on Activate.
Step 6: Update additional theme-specific Visual Composer plugins
If your website’s theme includes a specific version or plugin of Visual Composer, it’s important to update it as well. Check with your website’s theme documentation to ensure that you are up-to-date on the version specifics and the recommended plugin versions.
Step 7: Test your website
After updating Visual Composer and its accompanying plugins, it’s essential to test your website. Check each page, run through each plugin that relies on Visual Composer, such as sliders or galleries, and ensure that they function smoothly.
Updating your website’s plugins is an essential part of website maintenance, and updating Visual Composer is no exception. By following these steps, you should be able to comfortably update Visual Composer to the latest version without any issues. However, if you encounter anything challenging during the update process, it’s always a good idea to reach out to support.
- Will I lose any of my current work when updating Visual Composer?
- You will not lose any of your information when updating Visual Composer. However, having a backup is always recommended.
- What should I do if my theme doesn’t support the newest version of Visual Composer?
- If your theme doesn’t support the newest version of Visual Composer, check with the theme developer or switch to a more compatible theme.
- What if I have several websites to update?
- Updating several websites can be a challenging task, but there are plugins that make the process easier, such as the MainWP WordPress Manager.
- What is a brute force attack, and how can I protect my website?
- A brute force attack is a hack attempt where the hacker guesses your username and password using automated scripts. Protect your site by installing security plugins like Sucuri or WordFence and setting strong passwords.
- Are there any additional resources available to help me with my WordPress website?
- WP Learning Lab provides a range of free resources to WordPress users, including daily tutorials, a YouTube channel, a Facebook page, and a free 17-point WordPress pre-launch PDF checklist. Additionally, they offer a free 10-Point WP Security checklist and provide support through comments or Twitter.